Click to view an introduction to the
Wapsipinicon Mill

Buchanan County Court House
Scale model of “Statue of Liberty”  landscaping has a copper finish & was installed in 1950 upon the 40th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America.  The 8 ft. 4 inch statue is set on a concrete pedestal for a total height of approximately 13 feet.  The commemorative placard on the statue reads “Crusade to Strengthen the Arm of Liberty.”

Read More >

Captain D. S. Lee Mansion
The Capt. Daniel S. and Fannie L. (Brooks) Lee Mansion located in the 800 block of First Street East in Independence, Iowa, is a classic example of the Italianate Style and is locally significant. Its simple square form and symmetrical proportions speak of a formal, yet gracious, style of living.

Read More >

King's Opera House
King’s Hall, known formerly as King’s Opera House was built in 1876 by Charles King at an estimated cost of $10,000.  Opening night, October 3, 1876 saw .75 seats or reserved seats for $1.00.  For many years the great and non-great actors and actresses of the nation visited the hall to present stage productions to local residents.  It was the home of the “Independence Dancing Club” during the late 1870’s.  Many high-school graduations were also held there.

Read More >

Malek Theatre
The Malek Theatre opened in 1946 on land previously occupied by the Grand Theatre and was constructed in the still popular style of the age – ART DECO.  The Malek was part of what was known as the Gedney Block, which contained a theater and a grand hotel called the Gedney Hotel, which was a getaway for wealthy patrons who came from larger cities to gamble at a local horse race park – Rush Park circa 1890’s.

Read More >

Mental Health Institute
During the middle of the 19th century, at about the time the Civil War was drawing to a close, there was a growing incidence of mental illness in Iowa.  At that time, there was only one state facility for the mentally ill, located at Mt. Pleasant in the southeast corner of the state.

Read More>

Mills of Buchanan County
OTTERVILLE MILL
About 1863 a Grist/flouring mill was built on the north side of the swift moving Otter Creek. According to an 1886 map, Mill street became the traveled street to and from the Mill.

Article includes Otterville Mill, Littleton Mill, Fontana Mill, the Bentley Mill, and the Quasqueton Mill.

Read More>

St. James Episcopal Church
The first church service held in Independence by a group of Episcopalians was on July 31, 1856 in the Methodist chapel.  The Right Rev. Henry Washington Lee, D.D., L.L.D., bishop of Iowa officiated.

Read More >

Summit One Room School
The one Room School House Project was the original idea of Richard Krone, 5th Grade Teacher at South Elementary school in Rowley, Iowa.  Mr. Krone, other faculty and employees at South Elementary had the idea of moving and restoring a one-room school house.

Read More >


Home :: Sights & Structures :: Walking, Hiking & Cycling :: Historical Museums :: Links of Interest
Schedule of Events
:: Contact Us :: Admin login :: Facebook
© 2007 Buchanan County Historical Society, All Rights Reserved