ROCK ISLAND DEPOT
On March, 11, 1873, a delegation from the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Northern railroad company visited Independence to talk to the citizens on a proposed project to complete the “Postville Branch” of the B.C.R. and N railroad line through Independence. (this railroad latter became the Rock Island railroad).
The railroad line built a new passenger depot in Independence in 1891 and the building was rushed to completion in August of that year in order to help take care of the crowds which were convening in Independence for the races at the kite-shaped track west of town.