Back to article index
J.S. Bloom Mfg. Co.
Posted on December 27, 2016 at 11:12:38 am

In the late 1800's J.S. Bloom discovered through working with Iowa state University, that cattle benefited from eating the whole ear of corn rather than just the kernels. The ear acted as roughage and contained some nutrients. This knowledge led Smith to design, build and patient a corn cutter and crusher in 1901. The equipment allowed farmers to process the whole ear of corn along with the kernels to produce a higher quality of feed for their animals. This also led to a higher quality of manure for the farmer to put on his field. J.S. Bloom developed and sold stock tanks for milk and water along with grain elevators. These products were made almost entirely of wood as J.S. also owned a lumber yard. Amish farmers still use wooden stock tanks today. In 1964, J.S. Bloom sold his company to H.E. Smith. Smith was a salesman and knew he needed help on the manufacturing side of the business. Smith recruited Grant Sundquist who had a strong manufacturing in metal products. Sundquist designed and built a law mower repair table and a new line of grain augers and winches. In 1974 Dortha, Grant's wife, left her job to join Grant in the business which they purchased from H.E. Smith. They developed a variety of custom agricultural products which were sold to farmers, Sears & Roebuck, U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force as well as many other customers. Grant and Dortha enjoyed working with their employees whom Grant had personally trained. Grant and Dortha owned the business until 2000 when they sold it to their employees. Today, current owner, Mark Collet, specializes in producing a high-tech line of winches. The Buchanan Co. Historical Society has one of J.S. Bloom's 'Corn Cob Cutter & Crusher" on display at Heartland Acres Agribition Center in Independence, Iowa.


Back to article index

Home :: Sights & Structures :: Walking, Hiking & Cycling :: Historical Museums :: Links of Interest
Schedule of Events
:: Contact Us :: Admin login :: Facebook
© 2007 Buchanan County Historical Society, All Rights Reserved